I wanted to update you on a couple of important bipartisan bills that just passed the House of Representatives, with my support, to improve the lives of our veterans. Here's a quick breakdown:
The bill: The HIRE Vets Act
- What it does: It creates a self-funded awards program that recognizes the meaningful work of employers to hire and retain veterans.
- Why it matters: This recognition program will encourage businesses to increase their efforts to employ veterans, addressing veteran unemployment numbers.
The bill: The WINGMAN Act
- What it does: This legislation makes it easier for congressional caseworkers (like the ones in my district offices) to help veterans by allowing them to have read-only, direct access to necessary veterans casework documents - with the veterans' permission. This removes the bureaucratic middle man from the process.
- Why it matters: Helping constituents navigate federal agencies and get the assistance they need is one of the most important duties of my office, and this bill will help us to better serve our veterans in this process.
The bill: The BRAVE Act
- What it does: This bill authorizes the Department of Veterans Affairs to give preference to companies that employ high percentages of veterans full-time when awarding procurement contracts.
- Why it matters: Too often, when our men and women in uniform return home after their service to this country, finding a job and assimilating back into civilian life proves fraught with challenges. It is the mission of the House Veterans' Affairs Committee to make this transition smoother for those who have fought for us.
I'll keep you posted as we continue to work to ensure those who served receive the care, benefits, and opportunities they deserve and have earned.
In Your Service,
P.S. It was an honor to receive the National Association of State Approving Agencies (NASAA) Lifetime Leadership Award in recognition of my work on behalf of our nation's veterans. Click here to read more.