As a Member of Congress, I have the privilege of nominating exceptional young people for admission to the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, the Naval Academy, the Air Force Academy and the Merchant Marine Academy, known collectively as the U.S. Service Academies. My office also works with students interested in the Coast Guard Academy. The U.S. Service Academies offer opportunities for motivated young men and women to serve their country while receiving an excellent education and developing valuable leadership skills. In place of tuition, the Academies require military service after graduation.
If you're interested in attending a U.S. Service Academy, check out the resources below. If you have any questions, please contact Annie Cummins in my Cincinnati District Office: (513) 474-7777.
Pathway to an Academy Nomination
Admission to the U.S. Service Academies is highly competitive and selective, as is the process of securing a nomination. Here are some things to consider on your pathway to a nomination and, ultimately, admission to an Academy:
The U.S. Military Academies are looking for candidates who have a strong record of academic achievement. Your high school GPA and class rank are important indicators of your academic record, as are the kinds of courses you take. Consider taking more challenging courses (like AP/Honors classes, math and science classes, etc.) whenever possible.
Leadership and Service:
Candidates for the Academies must demonstrate outstanding leadership both in and outside of the classroom. Participating in extracurricular activities like athletics, clubs, and community service organizations can help you develop and hone your leadership skills.
The U.S. Military Academy, the U.S. Air Force Academy, and the U.S. Naval Academy each offer a variety of summer programs for prospective applicants. Participating in one or more of these programs is a great way to become acquainted with life at the Academies. Click on the links below to learn more about these opportunities.
U.S. Military Academy at West Point
The Summer Leaders Experience
U.S. Air Force Academy
U.S. Naval Academy
Summer STEM Program
Interested in joining a service academy?
Join us at one of our upcoming informal information sessions on Saturday November 23, 2019:
7850 Five Mile Road, Cincinnati, OH 45230
Peebles Public Library
157 High Street, Peebles, OH 45660
Applying for an Academy Nomination
To be considered for a nomination to one of the United States Service Academies for the graduating class of 2025, your application must be received by the Cincinnati District Office by 5:00 p.m. on September 25th, 2020. Your completed file must contain the following:
1. Completed Application Form
2. High School Transcript – Transcript must include all course work, GPA, and class rank.
3. Standardized Test Scores – Please provide official scores from the ACT or SAT, or both, as reflected on a school transcript or in official documentation from ACT or SAT.
4. High School Recommendation – Please provide a letter of recommendation written by your Guidance Counselor or High School Principal.
5. Letters of Recommendation – Please provide 2 additional letters of recommendation.
6. Community & School Activity List – Please list all school, athletic, and community activities and other significant accomplishments/awards.
7. Essay – Please provide an essay (300 words or less) outlining why you want to attend a United States Service Academy and then serve in the military as a commissioned officer.
8. Interview – All applicants will be required to attend an interview session conducted by our Academy Panel. Dates, times, and locations will be determined at a later date.
9. Photograph – Please provide a current 5x7 photograph.
10. Deadline – Send the above information by September 25, 2019.
The nomination materials referenced above are SEPARATE AND DISTINCT from the application materials you must submit directly to the Academies.
Please make sure to also begin your pre-candidate file with each Academy to which you plan to make application.
Click here to access my office's 2019 Academy Nomination Application form.