Skip to Content

Department of Veteran's Affairs

How can I  get a copy of my military records (discharge, medical, etc.)?

Most military records are stored at the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis, Missouri.

Visit the National Archives website for more information.

If you are trying to obtain records from your military service, or that of a family member, my office may be able to help.

How can I get the medals I was awarded during my service but never received?

Military medals are handled primarily through the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis.

In most cases, you may obtain medals more quickly if you work through a congressional office.

How can I get my VA claim or appeal processed faster?

The Veterans Administration currently has many claims pending for various types of benefits, causing many veterans feel that their case might be overlooked or handled improperly.

At my request, the VA will "flag" a particular case and keep me updated throughout the process. However, it is important to know that I cannot act as the "representative" on a person's VA claim. You may still want to consider hiring an attorney or veterans' representative to assist you. My actions will not affect the work done by the person you select as your representative.

I do not have the authority to overturn any decision made by the Department of Veterans Affairs.

Visit the Department of Veterans Affairs website for more information.

If you would like my help with a VA issue, please contact my office for a privacy release form.